Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnership (IMCP)
The Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnership (IMCP) program is an initiative designed to revolutionize the way federal agencies leverage economic development funds. It encourages communities to develop comprehensive economic development strategies that will strengthen their competitive edge for attracting global manufacturer and supply chain investments. Through IMCP, the federal government is rewarding best practices – coordinating federal aid to support communities’ strong development plans and synchronizing grant programs across multiple departments and agencies. Non-designated communities nationwide can learn from the best practices employed by these designated communities to strengthen American manufacturing.
IMCP has several components:
- IMCP was launched in 2013 with a series of regional roundtables hosted by several federal agencies to help raise the awareness of funding opportunities available in manufacturing as well as to seek bottom-up input from local communities on the upcoming phases of the initiative.
- Additionally, the Commerce Department’s Economic Development Administration and other agencies awarded $7 million to 44 communities in September 2013 for IMCP implementation strategy grants to support the development of long-term economic development strategies to help the communities attract and expand private investment in the manufacturing sector and increase international trade and exports.
- In December 2013, the Obama Administration launched a national competition led by the Department of Commerce to designate “manufacturing communities.” Eleven federal agencies and programs with $1.3 billion in federal economic development assistance will coordinate their efforts to support the strategies developed by the 12 designated communities.
On 1/29/15, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker announced that the round two designation competition of the ‘Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnership’ (IMCP) is now open. IMCP, an Administration-wide initiative coordinated by the U.S. Commerce Department, is designed to accelerate the resurgence of manufacturing in communities nationwide.
2/20/15: Information Webinar on the second round of the Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnership.
2014 IMCP Summit
- First 12 IMCP Designated Manufacturing Communities
- Frequently Asked Questions (Updated 12/18/2014)
- White House Fact Sheet on IMCP (Updated 5/28/2014)