$1B Build Back Better Regional Challenge
Supercharging Local Economies
The $1 billion Build Back Better Regional Challenge is the marquee of EDA’s American Rescue Plan programs that aims to boost economic recovery from the pandemic and rebuild American communities, including those grappling with decades of disinvestment.
The Challenge provides transformational investments to develop and strengthen regional industry clusters across the country, all while embracing equitable economic growth, creating good-paying jobs, and enhancing U.S. global competitiveness. As part of the $300 million Coal Communities Commitment, EDA will allocate at least $100 million of the Build Back Better Regional Challenge funding to support coal communities.
The two-phase competition will ultimately award 20-30 regional coalitions between $25 and $100 million to implement 3-8 projects that support an industry sector.
On December 13, EDA announced the 60 Phase 1 finalists – each a coalition of partnering entities – that proposed projects that will develop or scale regional industry sectors, develop and train the workforce of today, and build resilient economies. Each finalist was awarded approximately $500,000 to further develop their proposed projects and strengthen their regional growth clusters in advance of submitting a Phase 2 application. These grants will help the finalists take their projects to the next level in preparation for the Phase 2 deadline and also serve as critical long-term coordination and planning resources to diversify and strengthen America’s regional economies.
- Notice of Funding Opportunity
- One Pager (PDF)
- U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo Announces Finalists for $1 Billion “Build Back Better Regional Challenge”
- Phase 1 Finalist Fact Sheet (PDF)
- LIST: 529 Phase 1 Applicants (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Featured Economic Data Tools (PDF)
- VIDEO: Build Back Better Regional Challenge Webinar
- Phase 1 Applicant Resources:
- VIDEO: Applicant Webinar
- VIDEO: BBBRC Office Hours, Sept. 23, 2021
- Office Hours slides (PDF)
- Build Back Better Regional Challenge Panel Discussion
- Optional Budget Narrative and Staffing Plan Template for Phase 1 (XLSX)
- Application Checklist for Phase 1 (DOCX)
Phase 1 deadline:
Phase 2 deadline:
March 15, 2022
- Please send email inquiries about the American Rescue Plan Build Back Better Regional Challenge to BuildBackBetter@eda.gov.
- For additional questions, particularly region-specific questions, contact your state’s Economic Development Representative. Visit www.eda.gov/contact to find contact information for your Economic Development Representative.