Coal Communities Commitment
Diversifying Coal Communities for a Resilient Future
EDA’s Coal Communities Commitment allocates $300 million of its $3 billion American Rescue Plan appropriation to support coal communities as they recover from the pandemic and to help them create new jobs and opportunities, including through the creation or expansion of a new industry sector. This announcement builds on the “Initial Report to the President on Empowering Workers Through Revitalizing Energy Communities” developed by President Biden’s Interagency Working Group.
EDA also supports these communities through its Assistance to Coal Communities (ACC) initiative. Through ACC, EDA awards funds on a competitive basis to assist communities impacted by the declining use of coal through activities and programs that support economic diversification, job creation, capital investment, workforce development, and re-employment opportunities.
There is no pre-defined list of impacted coal communities. Coal communities include those outlined by the Interagency Working Group report as well as communities and regions that can reasonably demonstrate how changes in the coal economy have resulted or are anticipated to result in job losses and layoffs in any coal-reliant commercial sector (e.g., coal mining, coal-fired power plants).
Eligible applicants for EDA’s American Rescue Plan programs include a(n):
- District Organization of an EDA-designated Economic Development District
- Indian Tribe or a consortium of Indian Tribes
- State, county, city, or other political subdivision of a State, including a special purpose unit of a State or local government engaged in economic or infrastructure development activities, or a consortium of political subdivisions
- Institution of higher education or a consortium of institutions of higher education
- Public or private non-profit organization or association acting in cooperation with officials of a political subdivision of a State
Individuals or for-profit entities are not eligible.
Please visit the websites below to learn more about the programs with dedicated funds to support coal communities:
- Please email inquiries about the American Rescue Plan Build Back Better Regional Challenge to BuildBackBetter@eda.gov.
- Please contact your state’s Economic Development Representative for more information about the American Rescue Plan Economic Adjustment Assistance program. Visit www.eda.gov/contact to find contact information for your Economic Development Representative.