Economic Development Funding and Other Resources
This page summarizes useful, relevant information about federal program funding opportunities, websites, tools, and partner organizations:
FEDERAL ASSISTANCE FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
EDA’s sole mission is economic development, but it is not the only federal agency with financial and technical assistance programs that can support innovative, competitive and resilient regional economies. In addition to EDA’s programs and funding opportunities, we have identified over 130 federal programs that offer grants, loans, technical assistance and other support for economic development.
EDA offers Tthe following tools are offered to help guide communities to thru this wider universe of complementary federal economic development programs:
- EDA Funding Opportunities
- EDA Programs Information
- Federal Economic Development Resources Matrix: Download and sort this listing of over 130 federal programs that can support different aspects of economic development
- Selection of Open Opportunities for Economic Development: Updated monthly, this table features current grant announcements and deadlines for some federal programs that may be of particular interest to EDA’s regional economic development stakeholders. For the full list of open federal grant opportunities, visit: www.grants.gov.
Upcoming Deadlines -- Featured Federal Funding Opportunities
See below for a selection of funding opportunities that may complement your region’s economic development strategies. For more detail or to apply, open the Grants.gov search field and enter the Opportunity Number shown here:
|Category||Funding Opportunity Number||Opportunity Title||Agency||Close Date|
|Workforce, Rural||HRSA-21-105||Delta Region Rural Health Workforce Training Program||HHS||7/21/2021|
|Infrastructure||Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA)||EPA||7/23/2021|
|Planning, Technical Assistance||Rural Placemaking Innovation Challenge||USDA||7/26/2021|
|Manufacturing||2021-NIST-MFGUSA-RACER-01||NIST Rapid Assistance for Coronavirus Economic Response (RACER)||DOC-NIST||7/26/2021|
|Infrastructure||MA-PID-21-001||2021 Port Infrastructure Development Grants||DOT||7/30/2021|
|Rural, Business Assistance, Workforce||RD-RBS-21-01-RISE||USDA Rural Innovation Stronger Economy (RISE) Grants||USDA||8/2/2021|
|Arts||NEA Our Town||NEA||8/5/2021|
|Rural, Business Development Assistance||RBCS-RDCG-2021||USDA Rural Cooperative Development Grant||USDA||8/10/2021|
|Native American, Tribal Tourism||TRIBALTOURISMFY2021||BIA Tribal Tourism Grant Program (TTGP)||BIA||8/13/2021|
|NTIA-BROADBAND-INFRASTRUCTURE-PROGRAM-21||BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM||NTIA||8/17/2021|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||NTIA-BROADBAND-INFRASTRUCTURE-PROGRAM-21||BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM||DOC-NTIA||8/17/2021|
|Public Transport, Tribes||FTA-2021-003-TR||FY 2021 Competitive Funding Opportunity: Public Transportation on Indian Reservations Program; Tribal Transit Program||DOT||8/25/2021|
|Tribal, Broadband, Infrastructure||NTIA-TBC-TBCPO-2021-2006948||Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program||DOC-NTIA||9/1/2021|
|R&D, Technology||R22AS00010||Desalination and Water Purification Research Program for Fiscal Year(FY) 22||DOI||9/9/2021|
|Equity||P21AS00509||Land and Water Conservation Fund Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program||DOI||9/24/2021|
|Rural, Innovation, Business Development||RBCS-AIC-2021||Agriculture Innovation Center Grant Program||USDA||9/27/2021|
|Infrastructure, Arts, Energy, Capacity Building||Infrastructure and Capacity Building Challenge Grants||NEH||9/28/2021|
|Workforce, Technology||21-598||Advanced Technological Education||NSF||10/14/2021|
|Workforce Development||RFA-OH-22-003||NIOSH Training Project Grants||HHS||10/26/2021|
|Planning & Technical Assistance||EPA-OLEM-OBLR-20-08||Technical Assistance to Brownfields Communities||EPA||10/30/21|
|Workforce Development||HHS-2020-IHS-UIHP3-0002||Urban Indian Education and Research Program, Competing Supplement||HHS||11/6/21|
|Workforce Development||-2021-ACL-NIDILRR-ARHF-0009||Advanced Rehabilitation Research Training (ARRT) Program - Health and Function||HHS||12/18/21|
|Workforce Development||HHS-2021-ACL-NIDILRR-ARCP-0005||Advanced Rehabilitation Research Training (ARRT) Program - Community Living and Participation||HHS||12/18/21|
|Workforce Development||HHS-2021-ACL-NIDILRR-AREM-0007||Advanced Rehabilitation Research Training (ARRT) Program - Employment||HHS||12/18/21|
|Infrastructure||NOAA-NFA-NFAPO-2021-2006626||FY2021 to FY2023 NOAA Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)||DOC-NOAA||9/30/23|
|Planning & Technical Assistance||N/A||Cybersecurity Education Diversity Initiative (CEDI)||DOD||Open|
|Workforce Development||PWEAA2020||FY 2020 EDA Public Works and Economic Adjustment Assistance Programs (Includes CARES Act Addendum)||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Disaster Assistance||EDA-2019-DISASTER||FY 2019 EDA Disaster Supplemental||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Planning & Technical Assistance||Strategic Economic and Community Development||USDA||Open|
|Innovation, Entrepreneurship, & Business Assistance||Shuttered Venue Operators Grant||SBA||Open|
|Infrastructure||Community Facilities Direct Loan & Grant Program||USDA||Open|
|Planning & Technical Assistance||EDA Planning and Local Technical Assistance Programs||EDA||Open|
|Planning, Technical Assistance, CEDS||EDA Planning and Local Technical Assistance Programs||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||Telecommunications Infrastructure Loans & Loan Guarantees||USDA-RD||Open|
|Planning, Capacity Building, Infrastructure||SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households||USDA-RD||Open|
|Planning, Capacity Building, Infrastructure||Water & Waste Disposal Predevelopment Planning Grants||USDA-RD||Open|
|Technical Assistance, Planning||EDA-HDQ-RNTA-2021||FY 2021 - 2023 Economic Development RNTA||DOC-EDA||Open|
ADDITIONAL FEDERAL FUNDING GUIDES
The following resources present a compilation of federal programs that address specific areas of economic development:
- NTIA Broadband USA Funding Guide
- USDA Rural Resources Guide
- FEMA Economic Recovery Resource Roadmaps
- EPA Brownfields Development Guide
- EPA Clearinghouse for Environmental Finance (Land and Water Infrastructure)
TOOLS AND MAPS FOR FEDERAL RESOURCE COORDINATION
- EDA Research and National Technical Assistance Program (RNTA): The RNTA program funds research, evaluation, and national technical assistance projects that promote competitiveness and innovation in distressed rural and urban regions throughout the United States and its territories.
- USASpending.gov: This publicly accessible site provides Americans with access to information about how their tax dollars are spent.
- NEPAssist: This EPA resource facilitates the environmental review and project planning processes in relation to federal environmental considerations.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) EconWorks Economic Analysis Tools: U.S. DOT EconWorks is a set of web-based tools that can help planners make better decisions and more prudent investments in regional transportation systems and related projects, based on the potential impact of anticipated jobs, wage income, and economic outputs.
- Peer City Identification Tool (PCIT): Created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, this data comparison and visualization instrument can help policymakers and practitioners understand a municipality’s strengths and weaknesses relative to other cities.
Is there a valuable federal resource that we can add to this list? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.