Economic Development Funding and Other Resources
This page summarizes useful, relevant information about federal program funding opportunities, websites, tools, and partner organizations:
FEDERAL ASSISTANCE FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
EDA’s sole mission is economic development, but it is not the only federal agency with financial and technical assistance programs that can support innovative, competitive and resilient regional economies. In addition to EDA’s programs and funding opportunities, we have identified over 130 federal programs that offer grants, loans, technical assistance and other support for economic development.
EDA offers the following tools to help guide communities through this wider universe of complementary federal economic development programs:
- EDA Funding Opportunities
- EDA Programs Information
- EDA USDA Rural Development Resources Joint Planning Guide (PDF): Program planners can download this guide designed to promote sustainable economic development in rural America. Information and links to EDA and USDA Rural Development key priorities and resources are organized in four key areas to help identify complementary programs and promote collaboration among stakeholders.
- EDA y USDA Juntos somos más Fuertes | EDA and USDA Joint Resource Guide for Rural Communities (Spanish) (PDF)
- Federal Economic Development Resources Matrix: Download and sort this listing of over 130 federal programs that can support different aspects of economic development
- Selection of Open Opportunities for Economic Development: Updated monthly, this table features current grant announcements and deadlines for some federal programs that may be of particular interest to EDA’s regional economic development stakeholders. For the full list of open federal grant opportunities, visit: www.grants.gov.
Upcoming Deadlines -- Featured Federal Funding Opportunities
See below for a selection of funding opportunities that may complement your region’s economic development strategies. For more detail or to apply, open the Grants.gov search field and enter the Opportunity Number shown here:
|Category||Funding Opportunity Number||Opportunity Title||Agency||Close Date|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||NTIA-DE-PLAN-2022||State Digital Equity Planning Grant Program||DOC-NTIA||7/12/2022|
|Workforce||Off-Farm Labor Housing Direct Loans & Grants||USDA-RD||7/15/2022|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||NTIA-BEAD-2022||Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment Program (BEAD)||DOC-NTIA||7/18/2022|
|Infrastructure||OLDCC-22-F-0002||Defense Community Infrastructure Pilot (DCIP) Program||DOD||7/18/2022|
|Manufacturing||OLDCC-22-F-0001||Defense Manufacturing Communities Support Program||DOD||7/19/2022|
|Workforce, Coal Communities||MSHA-2022-1||Mine Health and Safety Grants||DOL||7/25/2022|
|Capital Access||RD-RBS-22-01-MPILP||Meat and Poultry Intermediary Lending Program||USDA||7/25/2022|
|Workforce, Infrastructure||693JJ322NF00009||Bridge Investment Program - Planning, Bridge Projects, and Large Bridge Projects||DOT-FHWA||7/25/2022|
|Disaster, Capital Access||CDFI-2022-ERP||Fiscal Year 2022 CDFI Equitable Recovery Program||TREAS||7/26/2022|
|Infrastructure, Sustainability||R23AS00008||WaterSMART Grants: Water and Energy Efficiency Grants for Fiscal Year 2023||DOI||7/28/2022|
|Technical Assistance||FR-6600-N-38||FY22 Choice Neighborhoods Planning Grants NOFO||HUD||7/28/2022|
|Energy, Tribal||DE-FOA-0002775||Notice of Intent to Issue Funding Opportunity Announcement No. DE-FOA-0002774, Energy Infrastructure Deployment on Tribal Lands – 2022||DOE||7/29/2022|
|Energy, Rural||RDRUS-22-RFP||Revolving Fund Program||USDA||7/31/2022|
|Energy||DE-FOA-0002565||Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) Energyshed: Exploring Place-Based Generation||DOE||8/1/2022|
|Urban||USDA-NRCS-UAIP-22-NOFO0001178||FY 2022 Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production (UAIP) Competitive Grants Program||USDA||8/2/2022|
|Sustainability, Workforce||EPA-I-OLEM-OBLR-22-02||FY23 BROWNFIELDS JOB TRAINING (JT) GRANTS||EPA||8/2/2022|
|Arts||2022NEA01OT||NEA Our Town, FY2023||NEA||8/4/2022|
|Disaster||22-593||Disaster Resilience Research Grants||NSF||8/19/2022|
|Infrastructure, University, Transport||UTCOPENCOMP2022||UTC Program Competition 2022-2026 Grants||DOT||8/25/2022|
|Energy||DE-FOA-0002661||Community Geothermal Heating & Cooling Technical Assistance & Deployment||DOE||8/30/2022|
|Rural, Energy||USDA-NIFA-BPP-009262||Bioproduct Pilot Program||USDA||8/31/2022|
|Resilience, Infrastructure||NOAA-NMFS-HCPO-2022-2007195||FY2022 NOAA's Transformational Habitat Restoration and Coastal Resilience Grants Under the IIJA||DOC-NOAA||9/6/2022|
|Urban, Agriculture, Business Assistance||USDA-NIFA-OP-009221||Urban, Indoor, and Emerging Agriculture||USDA||9/22/2022|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||NTIA-MMG-2022||Middle Mile Grant Program||DOC-NTIA||9/30/2022|
|Business Assistance, Innovation||N00014-22-S-B002||Science & Technology for Advanced Manufacturing Projects (STAMP)||DOD||11/30/2022|
|Workforce||HRSA-23-014||Advanced Nursing Education Workforce (ANEW)||HHS||1/20/2023|
|Energy||DE-FOA-0002768||Notice of Intent to Issue Funding Opportunity Announcement No. DE-FOA-0002779 - Bipartisan Infrastructure Law: Additional Clean Hydrogen Programs (Section 40314): Regional Clean Hydrogen Hubs||DOE||3/10/2023|
|University, Workforce||HRSA-23-003||Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP)||HHS||3/14/2023|
|Infrastructure||NOAA-NFA-NFAPO-2021-2006626||FY2021 to FY2023 NOAA Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)||DOC-NOAA||9/30/23|
|Disaster Assistance||EDA-2019-DISASTER||FY 2019 EDA Disaster Supplemental||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Workforce Development||PWEAA2020||FY 2020 EDA Public Works and Economic Adjustment Assistance Programs (Includes CARES Act Addendum)||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Planning & Technical Assistance||multiple||EDA Planning and Local Technical Assistance Programs||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Technical Assistance, Planning||EDA-HDQ-RNTA-2021||FY 2021 - 2023 Economic Development RNTA||DOC-EDA||Open|
|Planning, Technical Assistance||Strategic Economic and Community Development||USDA-RD||Open|
|Infrastructure||Community Facilities Direct Loan & Grant Program||USDA-RD||Open|
|Infrastructure, Broadband||Telecommunications Infrastructure Loans & Loan Guarantees||USDA-RD||Open|
|Planning, Technical Assistance, Infrastructure||SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households||USDA-RD||Open|
|Planning, Technical Assistance, Infrastructure||Water & Waste Disposal Predevelopment Planning Grants||USDA-RD||Open|
|Tribal, University, Education||Tribal College Initiative Grants||USDA-RD||Open|
|Tribal, Infrastructure||Water and Waste Disposal Grants to Alleviate Health Risks on Tribal Lands and Colonias||USDA-RD||Open|
|Infrastructure, Energy||Electric Infrastructure Loan & Loan Guarantee Program||USDA-RD||Open|
|Equity, Business Assistance||CDFA EC-Tech (Equitable Capital Technology) Initiative||Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA)||Open|
|Rural, Business Assistance||Rural Economic Development Loan & Grant Program||USDA-RD||Quarterly|
ADDITIONAL FEDERAL FUNDING GUIDES
The following resources present a compilation of federal programs that address specific areas of economic development:
- NTIA Broadband USA Funding Guide
- USDA Rural Resources Guide
- FEMA Economic Recovery Resource Roadmaps
- EPA Brownfields Development Guide
- EPA Clearinghouse for Environmental Finance (Land and Water Infrastructure)
TOOLS AND MAPS FOR FEDERAL RESOURCE COORDINATION
- EDA Research and National Technical Assistance Program (RNTA): The RNTA program funds research, evaluation, and national technical assistance projects that promote competitiveness and innovation in distressed rural and urban regions throughout the United States and its territories.
- USASpending.gov: This publicly accessible site provides Americans with access to information about how their tax dollars are spent.
- NEPAssist: This EPA resource facilitates the environmental review and project planning processes in relation to federal environmental considerations.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) EconWorks Economic Analysis Tools: U.S. DOT EconWorks is a set of web-based tools that can help planners make better decisions and more prudent investments in regional transportation systems and related projects, based on the potential impact of anticipated jobs, wage income, and economic outputs.
- Peer City Identification Tool (PCIT): Created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, this data comparison and visualization instrument can help policymakers and practitioners understand a municipality’s strengths and weaknesses relative to other cities.
Is there a valuable federal resource that we can add to this list? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.